CLOSED: Part Time Bookseller I position is now closed.
Part-time Bookseller I/ Events Coordinator Description
We’re looking for a partner in crime. This part-time bookseller will spend most of their time on the sales floor helping readers connect with their next literary journey and working on receiving, returns, social media, and day-to-day operational tasks. A small amount of time will be spent flexibly offsite keeping up with occasional events communication needs – Reverie does not have a busy events calendar, but there are some light duties, which could grow if it works out. This position is currently scheduled for a 20-25 hour per week schedule (ideally 8 hr Sundays and Mondays with Tues-Weds 4 hr smaller/ closing shifts, but this can be up for discussion) at $14-15/hr with opportunity to grow in hours and salary dependent on store success. Seasonal work (Nov-Jan) may require more hours and long vacation times during the holiday season will not be manageable.
The ideal candidate will have an outstanding sense of humor and ability to roll with it. They will be interested in the position because of wider connections and interest in the book community. Most benefits of this position come from career development and access to publishers, authors, and the book industry rather than our frankly modest pay, and they will be interested in this job for that reason. They will enjoy spending time in a little bookstore, be an avid partner to realizing the mission of Reverie and growing the business, be passionate about books and community giving, good with spreadsheets, be able to multi-task effectively, flexible in schedule and attitude, and with a laid-back perspective on life that comes with experience. Candidate must be 18+ and able to close the store at night.
The job requires that the bookseller help the store run efficiently and provide extraordinary customer service.
- Work to engage customers and provide helpful information or recommendations.
- Manage all in-store inquiries.
- Operate the cash register and store computer to accept payments, place orders, make change adhering to safe cash handling procedures.
- Stock shelves and take inventory.
- Manage the info@ emails and replies, and DM messages and replies while on duty
- Receive new books and log them into the system.
- Fulfill special orders and subscriptions
- Process needed returns
- Be point person for coordinating occasional (2/month) author and community events
- Contribute substantially to the social media content.
- Update the website and social media as needed with items such as event updates.
- Provide general store cleaning that could include: vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, plant watering, and dusting and straightening shelves, displays, and register areas.
- Fill-in for owner when owner is out of town as mutually agreed upon.
- Be willing to work events outside of regular hours as needed and as practicable
- Responsible key holder with opening and closing responsibilities
- Maintain a hassle free customer service culture, focus on solutions-based selling and an exceptional customer experience.
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent is preferred
- 1 – 3 years retail or bookstore experience preferred
- Flexible schedule preferred
- General Computer Skills required, excel proficiency preferred
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload
- Ability to multitask
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Friendly and engaging personality
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and lift boxes of books and not mind the close quarters and total lack of storage space.
To Apply: Please email your answers to the questions below, your resume, and brief cover letter to email@example.com
- What are the last three books you’ve read and enjoyed, and why?
- Which genres do you prefer to read in, and why?
- What are some of the things you’ve read outside of your preferred genres?
- Please create a pretend social media post (Instagram) highlighting a forthcoming book you’re excited about and paste the image and text below (obviously video won’t work here).
- Tell me a story about a customer service interaction you’ve had that could have gone wrong, and how you handled the situation